Today begins a series of FARMER SPOTLIGHTS! Each week, we will introduce you to a different Fresh Start Farms grower, and give you the opportunity to learn more about them, what they like to grow and cook, and where you can meet them.
Christine Pompeo came to Maine in 2005 from Southern Sudan. Christine was a farmer in Sudan but she is learning how to adapt to farming in Maine, “where the season is shorter and the climate is entirely different.” Luckily, some things stay the same: “Everything on my farm is done by hand, same as before.” She has been farming with NASAP since 2007. Christine’s philosophy is unwaveringly optimistic: “Try anything that you haven’t tried before. Nothing is impossible. Put your interest into something and you will get results.” Christine’s favorite part about her farming business is watching her vegetables emerge from the ground and so she can bring the vegetables to market to share with her customers.
Try Christine's delicious recipe for Kale with Onions and Tomatoes!
Kale with Onions and Tomatoes
- 3⁄4 red onion, sliced
- 2 big bunches of kale (tough stems removed), stems minced, leaves shredded
- 1⁄2 tomato, diced
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- In a large deep pan, add 1⁄8” oil and heat over medium high heat.
- Add sliced onions and cook until onions are soft and begin to brown.
- Add kale in batches and cook until kale has reduced in size by half.
- Add 1 cup water and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Make a hole in the center of the kale, add diced tomatoes and cover with kale.
- Add chicken bouillon.
- Cook covered over medium heat for another 20 minutes, until tomatoes and kale are cooked and water has evaporated. Serve with kisra.
Where to Meet Christine
Come visit Christine and buy some of the featured ingredients in Kale with Onions and Tomatoes! Christine will be at the Riverton School Farm Stand on Thursday, July 5th from 2:00pm -5:00pm, as well as at the Portland Farmers' Market at Deering Oaks every Saturday from 7:00am -12:00pm. See you there!